How an Appraiser Can Help You Sell Your Home
About this episode of the I Love Edmonton Real Estate Podcast
Gerhardt Klann is a former world-class biathlete, is the owner and operator of Northern Lights Real Estate Appraisals. Gerhardt has his DAR, DAC, DRP and Certified Appraisal Reviewer Designations from the Canadian National Association of Real Estate Appraisers (CNAREA) and is licensed by the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA). He was recognized as CNAREA’s Appraiser of the Year (for all of Canada) in 2016 and has completed over 7,500 appraisals.
Gerhardt and I talk about the current state of real estate in Edmonton (2017), how he became an appraiser, and what to look for in a good appraiser.
Key Points & Questions
- [0:35] How did you become an appraiser?
- [1:20] How does someone become an appraiser? And what does a typical day look like?
- [3:25] What sort of scenarios are you called in for?
- [3:40] An appraisal is a document that can be used in court.
- [5:28] 5% is an acceptable margin of error in the event you get 2 appraisals done.
- [7:50] How does the municipal tax assessment affect your job?
- [10:30] The current status of real estate in Edmonton.
- [12:50] Edmonton should expect some negative news for the first part of the year.
- [14:50] It’s a good time to buy if you’re thinking of investing.
- [15:35] How do you deal with competing interests?
- [18:40] Do you get different pressures when refinancing?
- [19:10] Appraisers are supposed to be unbiased.
- [20:36] What are some of the more interesting things you’ve seen over the course of your career?
- [23:53] Where are you licensed to work?
- [24:15] What should you be looking for in a good appraiser?
- [25:28] What’s the typical cost of an appraisal?
- [26:40] What does the lender own the appraisal?
- [29:55] Visit Northern Lights Appraisals to get access to our monthly newsletter.
- [31:05] How does a CMA compare to an appraisal?
Connect with Gerhardt Klann
More About the I Love Edmonton Real Estate Podcast
Host Jason Scott of The Mortgage Group talks to everyone and anyone who knows real estate in Edmonton.
Learn from local experts and get the inside scoop on anything that impacts Edmonton’s real estate market. Whether you are thinking of buying, selling or investing in the Edmonton market, Jason and his guests are here to help.
We interview top real estate professionals, decision-makers, influencers, and people who can help you learn more about what’s happening in Edmonton.
- If You Have a Great Relationship With Your Bank, Do You Need a Mortgage Broker? Busting Mortgage Myths
- Sarah Leib Offers Advice for Buying and Selling In Edmonton
- Advice from Realtors Simon and Elizabeth Schellenberg
- The Coming Wave of Edmonton Neighborhood Modernization, with David Moriarity
- Having Trouble Getting Your Property Seen? Bruno Schiavon Talks About The Technology You Need To Use