Two Big Secrets In Home Downsizing with Craig Pilgrim
About this episode of the I Love Edmonton Real Estate Podcast
1. Downsizing is a lateral move
Selling the big family home and buying a condo won’t. Downsizing the house’s square footage doesn’t always correlate with your net worth tied up in real estate.
2. More people choosing small bungalows instead of condos
There is uncertainty with condo ownership.
- How well is the condo corp run?
- What special assessments or levies are just around the corner?
- How stable are those condo fees?
Instead of monthly condo fees, people are opting to get a right-sized smaller house/bungalow.
Spend a fraction of a condo monthly fee by contracting out lawn/yard/snow work.
It’s About Control
- am I prepared to have control over a house and be responsible for its upkeep(?) vs. having a condo corp. having all the control and responsibility
- strangers running a condo corp.
- timing on repairs, personal cash-flow crunch
Challenges in Downsizing
- set expectations for your home when selling
- have you done a pricey renovation in the past?
- what you love isn’t necessarily what buyers love
- resale homes are always being compared to current trends
It’s Almost Never Worth It To Upgrade Before Selling
- reset your expectations about your house’s market value
- don’t spend your way into the next pricing bracket
Connect with Craig Pilgrim:
More About the I Love Edmonton Real Estate Podcast
Host Jason Scott of The Mortgage Group talks to everyone and anyone who knows real estate in Edmonton.
Learn from local experts and get the inside scoop on anything that impacts Edmonton’s real estate market. Whether you are thinking of buying, selling or investing in the Edmonton market, Jason and his guests are here to help.
We interview top real estate professionals, decision-makers, influencers, and people who can help you learn more about what’s happening in Edmonton.
- If You Have a Great Relationship With Your Bank, Do You Need a Mortgage Broker? Busting Mortgage Myths
- Sarah Leib Offers Advice for Buying and Selling In Edmonton
- Advice from Realtors Simon and Elizabeth Schellenberg
- The Coming Wave of Edmonton Neighborhood Modernization, with David Moriarity
- Having Trouble Getting Your Property Seen? Bruno Schiavon Talks About The Technology You Need To Use